Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Maple Chiffon Cake


This cake and frosting are light and fragrant.

One 10" tube pan. (Angel food cake pan.)

1. Beat 1 cup (about 8) egg whites with wire whisk. When foamy add 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar. Continue beating at high speed until very stiff. Transfer to a large glass or metal bowl.

2. In mixer bowl, beat:
2 1/2 cups flour (1/2 pastry whole wheat, 1/2 unbleached)
2 5/8 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup brown sugar

3. Add to mixer bowl in order, scrape bowl sides if needed. Mix well.
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup real maple syrup
5 egg yolks
3/4 cup cold water

4. Pour batter over stiff egg whites. Fold gently.

5. Pour into ungreased pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cake should spring back when touched lightly. Invert and cool completely.

Golden Butter Frosting
1. Melt 1/2 cup unsalted butter in saucepan over low heat until golden brown. Remove from heat.

2. Place 4 cups powdered sugar in mixer bowl. Beat in butter. Add 1 tsp. maple flavoring. Blend in cream until spreading consistency, about 1/4 cup.

3. Frost top and sides of cooled cake.

3 comments:

  1. AHH!!! I cannot wait to try this out this weekend! How wonderful! I love all things maple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh yummy, anything Maple is my favorite... Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll have to try it out for my son's birthday coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH. MY. This reads so yummily. Yes, that is a word when referencing something so fabulous looking!

    I am trying hard to learn to bake. And I believe that this I will bake. Maybe even tomorrow.

    Thank you for sharing this post through the Raising Homemakers Homemaking Link-Up. I am really enjoying visiting all these new blogs!

    ReplyDelete