Friday, April 16, 2010

Monthly Menus

Several women were discussing the dread of planning meals in the church kitchen on Easter morning. I've found it easier to have several weeks of menus planned ahead. One way to make this easier is to use themes.

Here is a picture of the current spreadsheet we are on. We are on the last week. Which means there has been several menus slid to new locations. For instance the last Wednesday menu needs lettuce and I don't have any. When I looked at the store yesterday it was way to expensive. I will substitute Burritos.



For instance, Tuesdays are Italian night and Wednesdays are Mexican at our house currently. Wednesday breakfast is also when we have Sourdough Waffles each week.

Now this doesn't mean that we always have meals exactly when and where planned. It just means I plan and grocery shop for these. It is much easier to flex with a plan in place. If I already shopped for the needed ingredients then I can easily slide meals around without robbing Peter's ingredients to make Paul's.

It makes shopping much easier too. I just compare what we have with what is needed and put the difference on the grocery shopping list. With some regularity to meal types I can stockpile ingredients when they are on sale and know they will be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment