Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Canned Pumpkin

I enjoy using  pumpkins to decorate my kitchen in the fall. I simply set them around in out-of-the-way corners on the floor. Maybe with a decorative gourd or two.

After Thanksgiving I process them. The easiest way I've found is to cut the pumpkin in half.
Remove the stem and seeds. A spoon with a sharp edge helps to scoop the seeds out-like an ice cream scoop or large serving spoon.

I then place the halves upside down (skin side up) on silicone sheets on my cookie pans.
Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour. This will depend on the size of pumpkin halves and how full you have your oven. Bake until a fork easily goes through the skin.

Now using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, scoop the flesh out of the skins. This should be easy to do.


Put the pumpkin flesh in a large pot to heat. If your pumpkin is not juicy add a couple tablespoons of water. Once you pot of pumpkin is hot it is ready to fill your canning jars. Can in a Pressure Canner.

A quart jar will make a nice large pumpkin pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment