Saturday, March 30, 2013

Freezer Biscuits for a large crowd

Being in charge of the church's "Easter" breakfast means I'm always on the look-out for a way to serve healthier food to a large crowd. When Money Saving Mom shared making Freezer Biscuits I knew I needed to try it.

I had an old recipe of a Freezer Biscuit that we didn't like, because it was dry and didn't raise well.
The tip of letting the biscuits thaw for an half-hour to hour makes all the difference.

Here is the recipe I'm using:

4 cups flour (I've also done two batches with half pastry wheat flour)
1 cup butter
3 Tbsp. Baking Powder
4 tsp. sugar (if using honey half)
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
About 1 1/3 cups buttermilk, milk, kefir

Cut butter into flour. I used my beater to break up the butter well, before turning the mixer on to finish blending the butter in.

Add all other dry ingredients. Mix until a fine crumb.

Stir in buttermilk until just moistened. Depending on your flour and weather you might not need all the buttermilk.

Knead exactly 10 times on well-floured cloth or board. Pat out to about 3/4" thick. Cut with biscuit cutter.

Place on cookie sheet.

Place cookie sheet in freezer. Let freeze. Bag up and keep in freezer.

This size batch makes about 18-20 biscuits.

To Bake:
Preheat oven to 425- 450°F while biscuits are waiting. (The electric ovens at church we used 425°F, my propane oven at home I use 450°F.

Set frozen biscuits on cookie sheet. (I cover with a tea towel.) Wait about 30 minutes to 1 hour then bake at 450°F for about 12 minutes. Because they are still firm when you put them in the oven they will take a little longer than normal biscuits to bake.

I also love that I can take out just a few at a time when it is just 2 or 3 of us here to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment