Thursday, February 12, 2009

Apple Pie Filling-Canned




3 1/2-4 cups sugar (original recipe called for 4 1/2, I’ve been using less)
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 tbsp. lemon juice
5 1/2 to 6 pounds tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I don’t peel unwaxed)

In large saucepan blend first 4 ingredients and 1 tsp. canning salt. Stir in 10 cups of water; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Add lemon juice. Pack apples into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Fill with hot syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. (Use spatula to help distribute syrup.) Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath. (Same time as for apples for your altitude.) Makes 6 quarts

Before serving: Prepare pastry for a 2-crust 8- or 9-inch pie. Line pie plate with pastry; add 1 quart apple pie filling and a little butter. Adjust top crust, cutting slits for escape of steam; seal. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes. (I use 2 quarts for a 10-inch pie plate and bake about 10 minutes longer.)

2 comments:

  1. I am getting ready to do my apples this year and need a good pie filling recipe! I will have to try yours, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog on the homemaking link up. This looks so delicious and easy even. I would have never guessed. I think I will try this one out, once I can find some canning salt. Thanks for sharing, actually I think my husband would thank you too : )

    ReplyDelete